August 20, 2012

THE PROMISE OF MEANING

Bob Goff (@bobgoff)

8/7/12 12:22 PM

Jesus never said He'd eliminate all of the confusion from our lives; He just promised He'd bring meaning to it @lovedoes

 

C. S. Lewis says he never wrote The Problem Of Pain as a self help book. But nothing, and I mean nothing, has helped me stay strong through all my suffering more than understanding why we suffer. Once I knew the meaning of my suffering, our suffering, I knew that I didn't need or want God to eliminate it. I knew wholeheartedly that my suffering had meaning. And I never wanted to be foolish enough or spoiled enough to dare ask the suffering, conflict, trial, tribulation, or confusion to be eliminated. I only ask it has His meaning for me and my life.

Christ promised us many troubles in this world, and yet we sit way down here and complain about it. We have the audacity to ask God "Why me?" and Why this?" and "Why won't you take this cross from me?" but they are never questions, are they? Because if they were legitimate questions we would take the time to find the answers, but we don't. We just keep pretending those statements are some deep theological question, but they aren't. They are said in moments of pure doubt and frustration. They are said with a bit of anger in them. They are us lamenting.


They aren't questions. But they should be. They need to be. Because if you're gonna sit around down here on earth wasting all your time lamenting that you are suffering, you are wasting the life God gave you and you are ignoring His purpose for you and your life.


If you are going to "ask" a question, seek out the answer! God has given us meaning for our suffering, for our confusion, for everything eternally important in our lives through the example of Christ. The answers are here. They are right around the corner. Keep looking. Let Christ bring meaning to your life. All of it. The good and the bad. The easy and the hard. The moments of clarity and of confusion. He is God remember. He has the answers. So, ask Him the meaning of whatever you are struggling with, and seek out His answer. You will be amazed and rejuvenated, and it will bring you even closer to Him.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment