August 7, 2012

TRUE SELF


Jon Acuff (@jonacuff)

8/4/12 12:30 PM

Define yourself radically as one beloved by God. This is the true self. Every other identity is illusion. - Brennan Manning



I've been trying to find a simple way to say this for seven years. Here it is. It is one of the most important Truths:

I thought my identity came from what I did: sports, school, work. Once God took all of those things away I thought I had nothing left. I felt like no one. Simply because I couldn't do anything anymore because of my health problems. But I've come to realize the only real identity I had left. The identity I can never lose. The identity that no one can ever take from me.

The others were illusions. Devil's lies. I'm not what I do. I'm not what I can't do. All that I am is loved. Radically, fiercely, furiously, and purely by God. 

That is who I am. That is who you are. Nothing else matters. 

We are His Beloved. His servants. His children. His students. His sheep.

What more could we need? 

I'll tell you: nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment