October 7, 2012

FINISH LAST

And the first shall be last, and the last shall be first...

 

Bryan Loritts (@bcloritts)

9/29/12 3:57 AM

Be careful of what you label as successful. When Jesus was 33 he was poor, homeless, single and despised by most.


In 2006 I heard a song that changed me forever. It was called "Finish Last" by Stellar Kart. It was then I knew God put me in the margins of society to teach me to redefine "success" and learn it's a good thing to "Finish Last" in the world's eyes.

 
And in the summer of 2006 I knew I had to get this tattoo, and I did. The cross is made up of five lines representing the five body parts that were pierced while Christ was on the cross suffering and dying for our sins.
 
 

Donald Miller captures success as a child of God, aka one's quality of life, perfectly in Through Painted Deserts:

"I was raised to believe that the quality of a man’s life would greatly increase, not with the gain of status or success, not by his heart’s knowing romance or by prosperity in industry or academia, but by his nearness to God."

 

So, what kind of success are you having in life right now? Think it's time to redefine "quality of life"? To redefine "okay"?


Even though it feels wrong and crazy and foreign, I am here to tell you that it's quite all right to want to finish last.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment