January 18, 2012

Open Space

“Each mile driven lessens the weight in my chest.” –Donald Miller, Through Painted Deserts

Nothing makes me happier, more full of hope, more content or “at home” than when I am on the road in open space.

Every drive my parents take me on feels so beautiful, so perfect, it almost always brings me to tears.

I want to live on the road. The open space is so freeing. Like my soul and I can finally, as if for the first time, stretch out and breathe.

“…and today there is a man in shepherd’s clothes, a hippie, all dirty with a downed bike in the circle lawn across the street (from Palios Coffee in Portland)…He is tapping the cup against his leg, sitting like a monk, all striped in fabric. I wonder if he is happy, his blanket strapped to the rack on his bike, his no home, his no job. I wonder if he has left it all because he hated it or because it hated him. It is true some do not do well with conventional life. They think outside of things and can’t make sense of following a line. They see no walls, only doors from open space to open space, and from open space, supposedly, to the mind of God, or at least this is what we hope for them, and what they hope for themselves.” –Donald Miller, Through Painted Deserts

“There are places in our lives that only God can go,” and the open road is that place, that special little space that I know God will be to meet me there (Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller). If I could take anyone on the road with me, or drive anywhere I wanted to, it wouldn’t matter if I didn’t feel God there, right there, with me, as we enjoyed being dazzled by all He made, did, and is doing for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment