July 6, 2014

GET DOWN by Audio Adrenaline

This song is one of the many things that first made me excited to finish in last place in the world's eyes. It is also what made me obsessed with the tattoo design on the left. I must have drawn a few hundred crosses until I came up with that one. One that represented finishing last.
 
The five lines that make up the cross represent the five body parts that were pierced when Christ was on the cross. If I was going to finish in last place I was going to remind myself of who finished in last first and why.
 
I think as Christians we so easily focus on how awesome and amazing our God is that we forget what it was like for Jesus. First born out of wedlock, then nothing more than a carpenter's son, and then just a child when he started preaching! Imagine being 12 and telling your adult pastors or priests they had it all wrong...
 
He lived in the margins and he died next to criminals. This was not a man or God who finished in first place--at least not in the world's eyes. In the world's eyes He was a loser and they gave Him a crown, of thorns...
 
When you start suffering you're immediately thrown into the gutters of society, into the margins. And it sucks. It's lonely and no one wants you. You're finishing last and they don't want to get dragged down with you. But Christ...well He's been there waiting for us. He suffered just like us. Not just so we won't feel alone, but so He could save us. So He can lift us up every time we get down.
 
So now, in last place in this rat race everyone else is wasting away trying to win, I smile. I smile knowing I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be. With my Lord and Savior.
 
Is life hard here? Yes.
 
Do many things drag me down? Yes.
 
Are there burdens I can't carry on my own? Yes.
 
Do I get down? Yes.
 
But He is here to life me up. And so I'm happy to stay in last place. I'm happy wearing my crown. All the time? No. But often enough? Yes. Most definitely yes.
 
In my darkest moments, He shines through.
 
When I'm breaking and crying, He comforts me.
 
When I feel all alone, He carries me.
 
That's life. It will get you down. And He will lift you up.
 
We're underdogs baby.
 
 
 
 

GET DOWN
 

Lavishly our lives are wasted

Humbleness is left untasted

You can't live your life to please yourself, yeah

That's a tip from my mistakes

Exactly what it doesn't take

To win you've got to come in last place

To live your life you've got to lose it

And all the losers get a crown


[CHORUS:]

I get down and He lifts me up

I get down and He lifts me up

I get down and He lifts me up

I get down


All I need's another day

Where I can't seem to get away

From the many things that drag me down, yeah

I'm sure you've had a day like me

Where nothing seems to set you free

From the burdens you can't carry all alone

In your weakness He is stronger

In Your darkness He shines through

When you're crying He's your comfort

When your all alone, He's carrying you


[CHORUS]

This valley is so deep

I can barely see the sun

I cry out for mercy, Lord

You lift me up again

 

1 comment: